A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Monday, August 25, 2014

Another Tribute to George Scanlon, from ARCE

I'm back from vacation, and while I hope that my vacation posts on historical subjects have kept you busy, a lot has been happening in the region and I'll be catching up as time permits.

Scanlon with Nasser, 1969
When archaeologist/art historian George T. Scanlon, the excavator of Fustat, died last month, I linked to several tributes. Let me now link to yet another, a lengthy tribute by Iman R. Abdelfattah at the American Research Center in Egypt (ARCE) website.Scanlon served twice as Director of ARCE, among his many other accomplishments.

Scanlon at l., with the 90-year old Creswell
The tribute also contains several photos, two of which I can't resist reproducing: the one of Scanlon meeting Nasser, above, on the occasion of the 1,000th anniversary of Cairo in 1969, and the one at right from Al-Musawwar magazine in 1970, showing Scanlon at far left next to another giant of Egyptian art and architecture, Sir. K.A.C. Creswell, who was discussed here.

No comments: